[Python-Dev] Re: [Fwd: Discussion: Introducing new operators formatrix computation]

Ka-Ping Yee ping@lfw.org
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 03:09:10 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, Huaiyu Zhu wrote:

> You are almost there.  :-) The current MatPy expression is
> 	solve (X.H() * X, X.H() * y)

I was about to suggest something similar, but you beat me to it.

I think that expression looks great.  If you can say it that
concisely, i don't think you need to throw in extra operators
at all (let alone a half-dozen of them that are incomprehensible
to anyone outside of the Matlab community).

I actually believe

    solve(X.H()*X, X.H()*y)

is *clearer* than

(What does the backslash mean?  What does the tick mark mean?
At least solve() is clear, and if i understood what H() stood
for, it would mean more than a tick mark.)

-- ?!ng