[Python-Dev] zlib not compiled by default

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@beopen.com
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 10:03:58 -0400 (EDT)

  MZ> I'm currently drawing a list for extensions to include:

  MZ>  -- zlib -- Tcl/Tk -- expat -- PIL -- Anything else?

  MZ> I really want something with "everything" in it.

Then your list is much too short.  Everything is a lot.

You also need OpenSSL, NumPy, PyXML, and kjBuckets.  And that's just
getting started.

My worry about the list of things to include is where exactly to cut
the list short.  The crucial modules are going to be different for
every person.  You mentioned PIL as one of your first four extensions.
I've used PIL exactly once, and then only as a brief experiment.  When
I took a poll on c.l.py about the RADIUS authentication module, I got
one response saying it was vitally important and everyone needs it.
(I think that respondents definition of everyone was "everyone who
operates an ISP or campus network.")  So add radius to your list.

Jeremy