[Python-Dev] Request for Opinions

Guido van Rossum guido@beopen.com
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 10:29:02 -0500

> By the way, one of the major reasons there is no clear consensus from
> the XML SIG yet is because we are hung up on an issue of fact. Is it
> technically and politically feasible to put 4XPath into the Python
> distribution. Our discussions over there will be radically different if
> everybody over here says "sure, that's no problem."

I have no idea what 4XPath is.  Assuming it is a separately maintained
and distributed 3rd party library, the answer is no for the source
distribution and yes for binary distributions.

I know you've argued about this before but it's pointless, I don't
want to have 3rd party code checked in as part of the Python CVS tree
or distributed as part of a Python source distribution.

However, one thing we *could* do is collect convenient links to the
source code of the latest versions of all the necessary or popular 3rd
party libraries -- or even redistribute copies from our website if
their license allows it.

We could also create a "sumo" (meaning so big it contains everything)
source distribution that contains Python and all needed 3rd party
libraries.

--Guido van Rossum (home page: http://dinsdale.python.org/~guido/)