[Python-Dev] zlib not compiled by default

Guido van Rossum guido@beopen.com
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 11:24:56 -0500

> I took it that you're alright with a "sumo" distribution, which is core
> Python with + lots of goodies. I think it would be neat if the sumo
> distribution would be released together with the thin distribution from
> PythonLabs, and that Python-Dev would help support it.

Yes, we here at PythonLabs don't know enough about all the different
3rd party packages to know what to add and how to ensure that it
builds easily.

I suppose it should also have a top-level super-Makefile and a
suggested Modules/Setup file (with all the 3rd packages enabled and
correct pointers to source directories).

> I *don't* think we need to maintain any such thing in the CVS tree -- only
> in the .tar.gz we let the world download.

Agreed.

I have to add that I'm +0 on this idea -- it would seem that if we
distribute a sumo RPM distribution we'd help way more people.

--Guido van Rossum (home page: http://dinsdale.python.org/~guido/)