[Python-Dev] Request for Opinions

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 11:56:54 -0500

"Fred L. Drake, Jr." wrote:

>   I think a PEP and further discussions in the XML-SIG are in order
> before we add more material into the standard library.  I'm firmly
> committed to getting the "right stuff" in there, but I don't want to
> rush headlong into adding things before they're ready and agreed
> upon.

My impression was that we discussed this in the SIG last week but the
discussion petered out when we realized that none of us knew whether it
was even feasible to add something the size of 4XPath to Python. Nobody
could say it would or would not be a problem which makes planning
impossible and further discussion a useless cycle of "wouldn't it be
nice, but it may or may not be possible, but wouldn't it be nice, but it
may or may not be ...".

It's difficult to extract sense from strings, but they're the only
communication coin we can count on.
	- http://www.cs.yale.edu/~perlis-alan/quotes.html