[Python-Dev] Re: linear algebra

Eric S. Raymond esr@thyrsus.com
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 14:47:12 -0400

Greg Wilson <gvwilson@nevex.com>:
> This is an interesting alternative I hadn't thought of --- add operators,
> with associated special methods and in-place assignment forms, but do not
> provide a "standard" definition (i.e. leave all functionality open to the
> user).

Yes. This steers a Pythonic middle path between user-definable syntax
(too big a can of worms) and doing nothing at all to help out
constituencies like the MatLab people.

Overloading otherwise undefined special method names for operators is
a well-understood way to add functionality to classes.  Lrt's use it.
--

Rapists just *love* unarmed women.  And the politicians who disarm them.