[Fwd: Re: [Python-Dev] Introducing new operators for matrix computation]

Huaiyu Zhu huaiyu_zhu@yahoo.com
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 15:04:52 -0700 (PDT)

I like this idea as well.  I only need to clarify two things:

1. Is this available right now?  Where to get it?

2. Will this be guaranteed to be compatible with future development of
   python?

My doubt is: If this is the case why the augmented assinment needs to be a
patch?

The development of MatPy has been quite rapid since it started over a month
ago.  Right now we are ready to go into feature addition phase that will be
even faster.  The only uncertainty is what operators we will have.  We got
our own patch yesterday.  We'd like to settle on this very quickly.

Once these are settled, we'll just included it in the MatPy distribution.
After we get enough usage the whole NumPy-MatPy packages might be included
in core python just as string or re.

Given that there is a conference next week, perhaps we can't fix it in a
week.  But we'll decide soon after that.

I will not argue any more here about how many new users python may attract
with matrix.  With proper tools I would be able to prove by fact.

Although we seek the core developer opinions here, we do not really need
approval to go ahead.  But the danger is that a bad choice may stuck with
python for ever when this thing gets incorporated into main distribution.
Switching the meaning of the operators would be almost completely
impossible, unlike the regex and re case.  So even if you don't make use of
matrix now, you might still want to give a thought on how it should be done.

Huaiyu