[Python-Dev] Pre-PEP Idea

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Sat, 15 Jul 2000 14:19:41 -0500

Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> heh.  so that's why I'm having a slight headache; paul is
> in there stealing my ideas? ;-)

I should have just let you invent it!

> I got stuck on whether this is best implemented as a true
> builtin, or just patched into the builtins dictionary by site.py...

six of one, half dozen of the other.

 * builtin means a little more consistency across environments
 * ptach means a little less code on startup

What do you think of my ten-line bootstrapper idea. I weigh the former
slightly higher then the latter. Plus, I could perhaps put a helpful
message in the bootstrapper to help people debug site.py and PYTHONPATH
problems. :)

> 1) plus a sys.sethelphook function which allow the environ-
> ment to override the default behaviour; for example, if you're
> typing help("intro") in PythonWorks' console window, you pro-
> bably want to get nicely formatted help in the "info" panel,
> not in the console window itself.

Good idea. And eventually some way for extensions to register
themselves...and a pager. Do we have pager code hanging around? Some
docstrings are already long and we have no mechanism for breaking them
up ....

It's difficult to extract sense from strings, but they're the only
communication coin we can count on.
	- http://www.cs.yale.edu/~perlis-alan/quotes.html