[Python-Dev] RE: Unicode character name hashing

Fredrik Lundh Fredrik Lundh" <effbot@telia.com
Sun, 16 Jul 2000 10:33:02 +0200

tim wrote:
> If "not work" means "may not return the same answer as when a long =
does have
> exactly 32 bits", then yes, it's certain not to work.  Else I don't =
know --
> I don't understand the (undocumented) postconditions (=3D=3D what does =
"work"
> mean, exactly?) for these functions.

he's using the hash function to look things up in a static table...

fwiw, "ucnhash" might be slightly obsolete (see my "unicodenames" patch
for a smaller replacement).  as far as I can tell, my hash function =
should
work on a 64-bit machine...

...on the other hand, it currently assumes that an "int" is at least 32 =
bits.

should I change this?  do we still pretend to support 16-bit computers?

</F>