[Python-Dev] ascii default encoding

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Sun, 16 Jul 2000 23:42:29 +0200

On Sun, Jul 16, 2000 at 11:34:00PM +0200, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

> "Depreciated" means that you should not use it in new code --
> perhaps someday string.py will disappear, even though I doubt
> that.

The common term for that is 'deprecated', not 'depreciated'. Really :) There
once was someone who posted a patch to linux-kernel to fix all those bloody
typos everyone made. Almost all instances of 'depreciated' where spelled
'deprecated' ! <wink>

Deprecate:

1.To express disapproval of; deplore.
2.To belittle; depreciate.

Deprecate \Dep"re*cate\:
To pray against, as an evil; to seek to avert by prayer; to desire the
removal of; to seek deliverance from; to express deep regret for; to
disapprove of strongly.

The difference is minor, but there really is one. Come on Eric, show us the
hackers dictionary on this ;)

> > Besides, 'string.join' is a good compromise for the people who
> > don't like " ".join()

> Tim Peters will have to take the blame for this one ;-) I don't
> find delimiter.join(sequence) awkward or funny -- using methods
> for this has added value: it defines an interface which other
> objects could support as well and thus makes your code polymorph.

Indeed. And is there any harm in providing conveniency functions for those
that prefer more obvious code ? There is hardly any doubt what

  string.join(s, sep)

does. And some people prefer it that way. They don't care that it's really
'return sep.join(s)' behind their backs.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>