[Python-Dev] intallation & help system

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Sun, 16 Jul 2000 19:03:21 -0500

Vladimir Marangozov wrote:

> This is not a problem. I can get all this info on a tty instead of
> in a window. BTW, part of the Gnome installation process is tty-based.
> If there's a problem of some kind, ESR would solve them in no time,
> being an ncurses expert :-).

I still think that there is something important in not requiring
anything beyond a command line, stdin and stdout for the basic help
system. Curses won't run on the palm pilot! It should also be possible
to plug in more sophisticated UIs where they are available.

It's difficult to extract sense from strings, but they're the only
communication coin we can count on.
	- http://www.cs.yale.edu/~perlis-alan/quotes.html