[Python-Dev] urllib and doc: (was: CVS: python/dist/src/Lib onlinehelp.py,NONE,1.1)

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Sun, 16 Jul 2000 20:32:34 -0500

Greg Stein wrote:

> urllib should NOT try to parse a "doc:" scheme. Any scheme in urllib should
> ONLY be IANA-registered schemes, and the resulting URL should follow the
> appropriate RFCs.
>
> If doc: is ever registered, then go ahead and teach it to urllib. Until
> then, I'll scream and shout and be very annoying :-)

Actually, the URL specs are specifically designed to be extensible and
to allow local, community-oriented URL (or URN) prefixes. It is a
deficiency of urllib that it cannot be taught to deal with new URLs
without changing its code. You can extend Java's URL handler or Windows
URL handler "externally."

Anyhow, I am light years ahead from doing anything in that vein.

It's difficult to extract sense from strings, but they're the only
communication coin we can count on.
	- http://www.cs.yale.edu/~perlis-alan/quotes.html