[Python-Dev] Will Python die?

Peter Schneider-Kamp peter@schneider-kamp.de
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 19:45:44 +0000

Paul Prescod wrote:

> Python cannot die while its license permits anyone to improve it and
> there are still thousands of users. If Python were in any danger, there
> are dozens of people who could take over its advancement, including its
> current maintainer, Guido, at his new job!

Tim once (0.9-winking-ly) mentioned the possibility of voting with the
"keyboard by grabbing the Python source and making your own release".

I don't wanna do this on my own (and get zapped from a lightning bolt
thrown by the powers that are), but what would be the pros and cons
of an inofficial (maybe 1.8?) alpha-in-between-release?

I think the CVS tree is in a relative stable state, so if this
is going to take another 1 1/2 months, this might be a good time.

just-thinking-and-winking-ly y'rs
Peter
--
Peter Schneider-Kamp          ++47-7388-7331
Herman Krags veg 51-11        mailto:peter@schneider-kamp.de