[Python-Dev] htmldoc.py + inspect.py

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 19:46:01 +0200

Ka-Ping Yee wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Jul 2000, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> >
> > But what I particularly like is the inspect.py module. That
> > would make a great addition to the standard lib !
>
> Yes, i consider inspect.py pretty much done, and hoped it would be
> considered for the standard library.  I proposed it a little while ago
> (http://www.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2000-May/011031.html);
> but it was set aside during the feature freeze.
>
> If we are in a position to consider it again now, then yes, i'd like
> to suggest it for the standard library.

Don't know if we are in such a position, but it's worth putting
on the list of candidates.

Perhaps you should simply put up a patch to SF which includes
the module -- this will give it some more exposure and assure
that the idea is not lost.

> > Note to Ping: your files are missing a clear license notice.
>
> I thought we didn't have to add the contribution release form
> anymore because that was for CNRI?

Sure, but there may be others who would like to use it, right ;-)

As long as there's no license on a file, you bascially cannot
legally copy it without first getting the authors permission.

> Anyway, i added a comment.  Is it sufficient?
>
> # I, Ka-Ping Yee, the author of this contribution, hereby grant to anyone and
> # everyone a nonexclusive, irrevocable, royalty-free, worldwide license to
> # reproduce, distribute, perform and/or display publicly, prepare derivative
> # versions, and otherwise use this contribution as part of the Python software
> # and its related documentation, or any derivative versions thereof, at no cost
> # to anyone, and to authorize others to do so.

This only gives the right to use the module in case it becomes
part of the standard lib :-(

I usually put the old Python license into the files (with changed
names of course).

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg