[Python-Dev] Patches

Moshe Zadka Moshe Zadka <moshez@math.huji.ac.il>
Tue, 18 Jul 2000 16:18:03 +0300 (IDT)

On Tue, 18 Jul 2000, Thomas Wouters wrote:

> Now that everyone of importance is off to sunny California, how about we put
> some of the patches that have been idling on the SF PM to the vote ? If
> Barry objects we can always organize some gigs for him away from the
> 'office' ;)

Or we can unleash Gordon upon him...seems to be the only thing which
strikes terror into his heart (after meeting Gordon, I can understand why)

> I'd personally like to hear some votes/opinions on the range literal patch,

Didn't Guido urge you to check it in?

> - Add 'isatty(fd)' to posixmodule.

+1 on that

> - Better error message with UnboundLocalError
> Patch looks okay to me, and Tim already said he liked the idea.

But it seems he had a quibble with the style -- so it's better to wait
until he approves. I think we *should* assign it to him, and bug him
about it. Any other opinions?

> - arraymodule: adding count, extend, index, pop, remove
> I believe there was some discussion about this before, don't know the
> outcome.

I'm +1, but I remember Tim and Guido had something to say about it, so
it's safest to wait for them

> - new EXTENDED_ARG opcode, elimiate 16-bit oparg limit
> Probably needs Guido and/or Tim decreeing whether the change is worth it

Agreed

> - safe version of PyErr_Format
> +0 on that, but what do I know. Don't know if it's actually safe ;)

I'm +1. As far as I could read, it is safe. That's the safest we can get
without serious stress-tests. This, again, brings up the problem of
regression testing for APIs, which is a different topic. (Anyone wants to
PEP it?)

> - Optional pad character for rjust, ljust
> Definately +1, but I have a nagging feeling there is a better way to do it:
> Why wasn't this implemented before ? What are people using instead of
> string.rjust(string, padchar) ?

Probably hand calculations:

	l = len(s)
	return s+'p'*(just-l)

It's possible....
In fact, putting an implementation of pad() like that in the string.py
module would be wonderful, because it would work with both regular strings
and unicode. However, string.py is looking as though as it's going to be
deprecated. In short, I'd want Guido/Tim/effbot/MAL opinions here before
we make a move.

--
Moshe Zadka <moshez@math.huji.ac.il>
There is no GOD but Python, and HTTP is its prophet.