[Python-Dev] PyArg_ParseTuple format specifiers again

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Thu, 20 Jul 2000 00:03:19 +0200

Of course, after I added the H specifier to PyArg_ParseTuple it turns
out that solved ninetysomething% of my problems, but it turns out that
what I really need is not an "unsigned short" converter but a "16 bit"
converter, i.e. something that will happily accept anything from
-32768 to 65535 without complaints. (The old "h" format, in other
words).

I need this because all the MacOS API modules are machine generated,
both the C modules and the .py files with all the constants in it, and
some header file authors use -1 to mean "16 1 bits", some use
0xffff. And I really don't want to hand-massage 40K lines of C and 6K
lines of Python everytime a new MacOS release comes out....

And I also need such a format char for 8 bit values.

Does anyone mind if I change the H specifier to do no value checking
other than making sure it fits in 16 bits, and add a B specifier for
unchecked bytes?
www.oratrix.nl/~jack    | ++++ see http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/ ++++