[Python-Dev] ANSIfication again ;)

Fredrik Lundh Fredrik Lundh" <effbot@telia.com
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 00:08:36 +0200

peter wrote:
> thomas wrote:
> > However, as far as I remember, ANSI C states that should be written
> > as '(void)'. Is that a non-issue, and should I not bother fixing =
those ?
> > (Most of the files in Modules/ has one or more instances of those.)
>=20
> Yes, I think that's right. I just looked at them and thought: Oh, no
> parameters - no work ;-)
>=20
> But then even "gcc -pedantic -ansi" doesn't care about this.
> Take that as a +0.

strictly speaking, (void) and () are two different things:

    "If the function does not expect any arguments, you write
    only the keyword void

        void reset(void);          no arguments, no return

    "You can also declare a function and not provide information
    about the number or types of its arguments. Do not write
    declarations within the parentheses of the function decoration.

        double bessel();           no argument information

    (from http://www-ccs.ucsd.edu/c/function.html)

but I guess it's up to you if you want to be more pedantic than
-pedantic...

</F>