[Python-Dev] extended print statement, uPre-PEP

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Sat, 22 Jul 2000 11:29:48 -0500

Gordon McMillan wrote:

> The answer to that is contained in the answer to "Why did
> Guido make print a keyword?".

I would guess that he invented print before sys.stdout. :)

The main reason I use print (for debugging) is because

a) it doesn't require me to coerce variables to strings explicitly.
That's why I want autocoercion everywhere.

b) it doesn't require me to import sys. That's an argument for making
stdout (or sys!) a builtin

c) it just seems less technical for newbies than the unpronouncable
string of consonants "std".

Overall, I think the language would be better off if print were gone.
There are more generalized ways to do what it does.

New from Computer Associates: "Software that can 'think', sold by
marketers who choose not to."