[Python-Dev] Python Consortium Meeting News

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Sat, 22 Jul 2000 19:34:45 +0200

On Sat, Jul 22, 2000 at 12:36:03PM -0400, Andrew Kuchling wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 22, 2000 at 06:35:38AM -0700, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> >- Python 1.6 (a CNRI release with PythonLabs' help) will come out with
> >CNRI's Open Source License in two phases: a beta around August 1st, and a
> >final release mid-August (of course this schedule is subject to the usual
> >qualifications).  This will release all of the work on Python done at CNRI
> >since 1.5.2 was released to the public -- a significant step.

> So, what version does the current CVS tree represent?  Is it what will
> become 1.6, or will some things be removed from the CVS tree in order
> to make the 1.6 release?  From reading the feature lists, it looks
> like none of the 2.0 features are checked in yet, so I'd wager that
> the CVS tree is 1.6.

How I read it, and what I understood from Jeremy's unofficial response last
week, is that 1.6 will be everything that was included while Guido (and
Barry, Jeremy and Fred) worked at CNRI. That can probably be seen as
everything before the CVS tree moved to SourceForge, plus a bit. I'd suspect
some of the half-developed features and most of the bugfixes will move into
1.6 as well, but that's just because that makes sense to me -- so it might
not be what CNRI wants ;)

> I guess what I'm wondering is how 1.6/2.0 development will be
> organized; finishing 1.6, and postponing augmented assignment/list
> comprehensions/whatever until 2.0, seems like the best course, since
> it means we won't have to wrestle with 2 development branches.

In the above interpretation, the current CVS tree is 2.0-to-be.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>