[Python-Dev] Python Consortium Meeting News

Tim Peters tim_one@email.msn.com
Sat, 22 Jul 2000 13:41:03 -0400

[Andrew Kuchling]
> (I haven't read the licence yet -- no way to read Word on this
> Linux laptop.)

Plain text below, or see http://hdl.handle.net/1895.22/1011.  I like the old
Python license better -- but then I'm relatively sane <wink>.

> So, what version does the current CVS tree represent?  Is it what will
> become 1.6, or will some things be removed from the CVS tree in order
> to make the 1.6 release?  From reading the feature lists, it looks
> like none of the 2.0 features are checked in yet, so I'd wager that
> the CVS tree is 1.6.

Guido said "This [1.6] will release all of the work on Python done at CNRI
since 1.5.2 was released to the public".  The great recent burst of
Python-Dev activity in the CVS tree was not done at CNRI, or the bulk of it
even by people with any connection present or past to CNRI.

> I guess what I'm wondering is how 1.6/2.0 development will be
> organized; finishing 1.6, and postponing augmented assignment/list
> comprehensions/whatever until 2.0, seems like the best course, since
> it means we won't have to wrestle with 2 development branches.

I *expect* that only BeOpen PythonLabs, and perhaps CNRI, will wrestle with
1.6, working from a snapshot of the CVS tree as of the day after Guido et
alia left.  As Guido also said, 1.6 will be "a CNRI release with PythonLabs'
help".  There's no technical argument behind any of this, so don't even try
to start a fruitful discussion <frown>.  For example, consider all the
patches added since then that did not come with CNRI's disclaimer -- mucking
with that retroactively would slow everything (both 1.6 and 2.0!) down.  And
that's not the only artificial hassle:  you should know better than most the
nature of the issues involved in a CNRI release.

Python-Dev should focus on 2.0!  At heart, it's specifically Guido who owes
CNRI a 1.6 release.  No loss to Python-Dev, as by now he's forgotten how to
write code anyway <wink>.

birthing-pains-ly y'rs  - tim

PYTHON 1.6, Beta 1

CNRI LICENSE AGREEMENT

IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING AGREEMENT CAREFULLY.

BY CLICKING ON THE "ACCEPT" BUTTON WHERE INDICATED, OR BY COPYING,
INSTALLING OR OTHERWISE USING THE SOFTWARE, YOU ARE DEEMED TO HAVE AGREED TO
THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THIS AGREEMENT.

1. This LICENSE AGREEMENT is between the Corporation for National Research
Initiatives, having an office at 1895 Preston White Drive, Reston, VA 20191
("CNRI"), and the Individual or Organization ("Licensee") accessing and
otherwise using Python 1.6, beta 1 software in source or binary form and its
associated documentation, as released at the www.python.org Internet site on
July __, 2000 ("Software").

2. Subject to the terms and conditions of this License Agreement, CNRI
hereby grants Licensee a non-exclusive, royalty-free, world-wide license to
reproduce, analyze, test, perform and/or display publicly, prepare
derivative works, distribute, and otherwise use the Software alone or in any
derivative version, provided, however, that CNRI's License Agreement and
CNRI's notice of copyright, i.e., "Copyright (c) 1995 - 2000 Corporation for
National Research Initiatives; All Rights reserved" are both retained in the
Software, alone or in any derivative version prepared by Licensee.

Alternately, in lieu of CNRI's License Agreement, Licensee may substitute
the following text (omitting the quotes): "Python 1.6, beta 1, is made
available subject to the terms and conditions in CNRI's License Agreement.
This Agreement may be located on the Internet using the following unique,
persistent identifier (known as a handle): 1895.22/1011. This Agreement may
also be obtained from a proxy server on the Internet using the following

3. In the event Licensee prepares a derivative work that is based on or
incorporates the Software or any part thereof, and wants to make the
derivative work available to the public as provided herein, then Licensee
hereby agrees to indicate in any such work the nature of the modifications
made to CNRI's Software.

4. CNRI is making the Software available to Licensee on an "AS IS" basis.
CNRI MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. BY WAY OF
EXAMPLE, BUT NOT LIMITATION, CNRI MAKES NO AND DISCLAIMS ANY REPRESENTATION
OR WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR THAT
THE USE OF THE SOFTWARE WILL NOT INFRINGE ANY THIRD PARTY RIGHTS.

5. CNRI SHALL NOT BE LIABLE TO LICENSEE OR ANY OTHER USERS OF THE SOFTWARE
FOR ANY INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR LOSS AS A RESULT OF
USING, MODIFYING OR DISTRIBUTING THE SOFTWARE, OR ANY DERIVATIVE THEREOF,
EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY THEREOF. SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW THE
LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY SO THE ABOVE DISCLAIMER MAY NOT APPLY
TO LICENSEE.

6. This License Agreement will automatically terminate upon a material
breach of its terms and conditions.

7. This License Agreement shall be governed by and interpreted in all
respects by the law of the State of Virginia, excluding conflict of law
provisions. Nothing in this License Agreement shall be deemed to create any
relationship of agency, partnership, or joint venture between CNRI and
Licensee. Licensee may not use CNRI trademarks or trade name in a trademark
sense to endorse or promote products or services of Licensee, or any third
party.

8. By clicking on the "ACCEPT" button where indicated, or by copying,
installing or otherwise using the software, Licensee agrees to be bound by
the terms and conditions of this License Agreement.

                                          ACCEPT