[Python-Dev] ANSIfication problems: signalmodule.c doesn't compile

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Sun, 23 Jul 2000 22:41:07 +0200

On Sun, Jul 23, 2000 at 04:32:10PM -0400, Tim Peters wrote:

> What I *really* care about is getting RETSIGTYPE out of our *source* code.
> Macros do damage!  They're hard to figure out, hard to write safely, full of
> surprises even so, and frustrate the heck out of single-stepping in the
> debugger.  Unforunately, they're necessary to write robust cross-platform C
> code.  But every one we can nuke is one less knife in the heart.

Agreed. And each one makes it harder to port to new systems ;) (I wish I had
access to such a hard-to-do new system... I like a little challenge ;)

> Hmm ... I'll leave the Unix config stuff alone, but get rid of RETSIGTYPE in
> the rest of the tree.  Objections?

Sounds like a good idea to me. Does config.h get exported to extention code,
by the way ? If it is, keeping it in is probably a good idea. It doesn't
look like it is, though, so I'm tempted to remote the autoconf check anyway.
All your reasons for removing the macros from the source go for
configure.in, too, especially when porting to new systems.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>