[Python-Dev] Python Consortium Meeting News

Mon, 24 Jul 2000 20:17:21 -0400

On Mon, Jul 24, 2000 at 08:07:17PM -0400, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
>1. Import Greg's 3.x module into the Python core.
>The only problem with this plan is that I don't understand the Python
>distribution's module build system and step 1 looks kind of hairy.  Is
>this stuff documented anywhere?

Try reading the comments at the top of Modules/Setup.in.  For a very
simple module that's only a file or two, like posixmodule.c or the md5
module, you can simply add an appropriate line to Setup.in.  But I
vaguely recall that the 3.x bsddb module is a bunch of files -- if
that's the case, I'm not sure what to do.  For PCRE, I wrote a script
which munges several source files into one big pypcre.c, but this is
messy and probably was a mistake.  I'm not sure what's involved in
extending the system to support building in subdirectories of Modules/.
(Maybe a line like "pcre pcre/pcre.c pcre/compile.c pcre/study.c ..."
in Setup.in would just magically work?)

--amk