[Python-Dev] guidelines for contributing to Python

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw@beopen.com
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 01:40:32 -0400 (EDT)

    DB> Yes.  It's the only way to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    DB> GCC has about 6000 regression tests currently, fer instance.
    DB> Each came about as part of a bug reported (usually what
    DB> happens is someone takes the preprocessed source sent in with
    DB> the bug report, and distills it down to about 100-1024 bytes
    DB> worth of code that demonstrate the bug.).

Absolutely agreed.  I can't even count the number of times that my
regression test suite saved much embarrassment with CC Mode.  Python
is a big complex system with many interacting pieces.  A butterfly
change here can cause a hurricane breakage elsewhere.  It's exactly
this kind of thing the regression tests will catch.

-Barry