[Python-Dev] guidelines for contributing to Python

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@beopen.com
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 07:32:30 -0400 (EDT)

Barry A. Warsaw writes:
 > I'd like to create two new PEPs, one which would be a Python coding
 > style guide, based on Guido's seminal essay, but updated, and a C
 > coding style guide for modules and core C code.  I'd probably
 > eventually like to add one for Java code in the JPython core as well.

  Why would these be PEPs?  I know some of us had discussed that a
style guide should be written as part of the standard documentation.
The PEPs exist largely for developers of Python's interpreters and
standard library.  The style guide is for a larger audience, so needs
to be part of the standard documentation.
  I stated at some point that I would convert Guido's "essay"; perhaps
that should move up the list of priorities so that the other people
interested can work with it; I seem to recall that you, Greg Wilson,
and possibly Jeremy were interested.

 > Any objections to PEPing these, even though it may be a little while
 > before they're fleshed out?  Anybody else care to champion them?  If
 > not, I will do it.

  I'm willing if this is part of the standard documentation.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at beopen.com>
BeOpen PythonLabs Team Member