[Python-Dev] Features for Python 2.0

Guido van Rossum guido@beopen.com
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 08:53:05 -0500

> Would anyone feel really bad if we postpone list comprehensions and
> augmented assignments to a later version? I'm a bit afraid of those
> features, since they are quite large, and it is yet uncertain how programs
> which use those features will look. (OTOH, zip will simply replace some
> map(None) and iterating in parallel by index, and [0:10:2] will replace
> range(0, 10, 2), so we have a pretty good idea about their effects)

If you folks hadn't wasted so much time discussion augmented print
statements and new operators, we could have had the augmented
assignments and list comprehensions checked in already!

If you have a specific objection, raise it.  Drop the meta issues.

--Guido van Rossum (home page: http://dinsdale.python.org/~guido/)