[Python-Dev] Features for Python 2.0

Guido van Rossum guido@beopen.com
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 09:49:22 -0500

> Not so fast Mr. Van Rossum!  We need to get the specifications for
> these features written first.  Barry should be updating the PEP
> guidelines today, and Tim and Thomas have been assigned PEPs on the
> two most controversial features.  Yesterday, I proposed we set Aug. 9
> as the deadline for completing the specs.

They are not controversial with *me*, and the complaints about either
that were repeated today don't impress me much.  The only concerns I
have are:

- Should we allow [x, y for x in s1 for y in s2] or should we require
that to be written as [(x, y) for x in s1 for y in s2]?

- What does a += b += c mean?

Plus doubts about the cleanliness of the implementations given by the
currently proposed patches, e.g. Thomas' doubt about the use of so
many new opcodes (which I think is actually fine).

> Until we have the specs, I don't think we need to have lots of
> long-winded debates about whether the features scare people :-).

Agreed.  Besides, our priorities should be focused on the 1.6 release
first.

--Guido van Rossum (home page: http://dinsdale.python.org/~guido/)