[Python-Dev] Product iteration

Tue, 25 Jul 2000 18:01:16 -0400

On Tue, Jul 25, 2000 at 06:08:18PM -0400, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
>Wrong answer.  The right answer is to fix lambda (or some variant of lambda)
>to be a true  lexical closure.

Hm... hmmmm... fixing this has been suggested before, but always
foundered on the fact that creating a closure required a cycle, which
would leak memory.  Now we have an optional GC that should handle
this, so maybe fixing it can be revisited.  (But this would mean that
GC is essentially no longer optional -- maybe too radical a thing to
do before we're sure about the new GC.  2.1, maybe?)

--amk