[PEP 202] Re: [Python-Dev] Product iteration

Eric S. Raymond esr@thyrsus.com
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 18:14:22 -0400

Skip Montanaro <skip@mojam.com>:
> Part of the motivation for list comprehensions as I recall is that we'd like
> to get away from such a strong reliance on map, reduce and filter.

In that case, the the lesson is that this is a bad road to go down.
The cost of moving away from a functional syntax, in this case, seems
to be dubious thickets of syntactic ugliness,

Mind you, I'm not a functional-language bigot; I'm not after turning Python
into LISP.  Python has taught me the limits of the LISP approach to the world.
But I think the lesson from this particular debate is that it's not really
possible to do better than functional syntax for expressing the kinds of things
that want to go on the right side of a comprehension.
--

Live free or die; death is not the worst of evils.
	-- General George Stark.