[Python-Dev] Product iteration

Eric S. Raymond esr@thyrsus.com
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 18:26:28 -0400

Andrew Kuchling <akuchlin@mems-exchange.org>:
> On Tue, Jul 25, 2000 at 06:08:18PM -0400, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> >Wrong answer.  The right answer is to fix lambda (or some variant of lambda)
> >to be a true  lexical closure.
>
> Hm... hmmmm... fixing this has been suggested before, but always
> foundered on the fact that creating a closure required a cycle, which
> would leak memory.  Now we have an optional GC that should handle
> this, so maybe fixing it can be revisited.  (But this would mean that
> GC is essentially no longer optional -- maybe too radical a thing to
> do before we're sure about the new GC.  2.1, maybe?)

I think there's enough controversy about comprehensions at this point to
warrant not rushing out an implementation we might regret.

(Heh. Look at me telling *Guido* to go slow and careful...heh.)
--

To make inexpensive guns impossible to get is to say that you're
putting a money test on getting a gun.  It's racism in its worst form.