Closures (was RE: [Python-Dev] Product iteration)

Tim Peters tim_one@email.msn.com
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 19:03:59 -0400

[Andrew Kuchling]
> Hm... hmmmm... fixing this has been suggested before, but always
> foundered on the fact that creating a closure required a cycle, which
> would leak memory.  Now we have an optional GC that should handle
> this, so maybe fixing it can be revisited.  (But this would mean that
> GC is essentially no longer optional -- maybe too radical a thing to
> do before we're sure about the new GC.  2.1, maybe?)

Definitely PEP material:  let's please, please, please not have this entire
debate again.  BTW, I'm having trouble believing the release schedule for
1.6 and 2.0 without this, so definitely post-2.0 on those grounds alone.