[Python-Dev] Berkeley DB

Mark Hammond mhammond@skippinet.com.au
Wed, 26 Jul 2000 09:12:03 +1000

> Is it OK to add a SWIG-generated module to the core?

That is a little tricky.  Longer term it should be reasonable.  However,
there are a few  reasonable objections that I will have trouble defending
(the most obvious one being a more complex build system)

> (I have an irrational dislike SWIG's trick of encoding pointers
> as strings,

I think your fear is completely rational!  However, take heart in the fact
that I have _many_ SWIG extension modules, and have _never_ had SWIG
generate a pointer on me.  It often takes some hoop jumping, and requires
some hand-coded helpers, but SWIG still saves me time, while providing a
rock-solid interface.

If SWIG code does end up in the core, I would prefer to see SWIG pointers
banned!

Mark.