[Python-Dev] was Re: Type inference now simplicity (fwd)

Moshe Zadka Moshe Zadka <moshez@math.huji.ac.il>
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 08:06:00 +0300 (IDT)

I think most of the people here aren't reading c.l.py, so here
are some feelings from "the community"

--
Moshe Zadka <moshez@math.huji.ac.il>
There is no IGLU cabal.
http://advogato.org/person/moshez

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 21:14:34 GMT
From: Shae Erisson <shapr@uab.edu>
To: python-list@python.org
Newsgroups: comp.lang.python
Subject: was Re: Type inference now simplicity

Neil Hodgson wrote:
>    I found this article quite depressing. One of the effects of .NET appe=
ars
> to be the homogenisation of programming languages. When the platform
> emphasises compilation, compiler helpful warts like variable declaration =
and
> "option fast" start appearing. There is a place for languages with option=
al
> typing but there is also a place for a language that tries to stay very
> simple.
>=20
>    VB has been on a long journey of complexification which has been great
> for many but has left some people behind. One of my mates works as a
> manager/bureaucrat - programming isn't a significant part of his job but
> over the years he's been able to write bits of dBase, Excel macros and HT=
ML
> with embedded JavaScript. Excel moved from a simple macro language to a
> simplified VB variant (OK, so far) to using full VB (getting worse) and t=
hen
> VB starts gaining C++ features (bad). So this bloke has stopped programmi=
ng
> in Excel - just too hard now. Adding 'programming in the large' features
> appears good to help the more advanced users but it introduces unwanted
> complexity for others. JavaScript was the last refuge of simplicity but n=
ow
> Microsoft (and Netscape) are moving it into the same zone as Python, VB a=
nd
> C#. I expect a new simple language will appear, gain some users and then
> embark on the same journey to complexity.

I agree with this. With Python, I'm opposed to the idea of adding
autoincrement operators like +=3D etc. I'm opposed to adding the extra for
loop stuff like "for [x,y,z] in [a,b,c]."
And I'm opposed to it because it seems like sugar to me. I've always
loved Python's simplicity, and I hope it stays that way.

Adding new operators and new syntax will make Python harder to read, and
harder to learn. I don't want that.

Simplicity always seems to improve things. Usually, I can improve by
removing rather than adding. Concepts like WikiWiki, Refactoring, etc.
appeal to me tremendously.
--=20
Shae Matijs Erisson - http://www.webwitches.com/~shae/
VirtualPairProgramming Wanted - Linux/Emacs/Python/Speak Freely
=2Efi: rakastan ohjelmointia - python kengitt=E4=E4 aasia
--=20
http://www.python.org/mailman/listinfo/python-list