[Python-Dev] UTF-16 code point comparison

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 22:23:49 +0200

On Thu, Jul 27, 2000 at 02:44:42PM -0500, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > When the Unicode push started, it was agreed that we would ignore surrogates
> > "for now".  I sounded a caution then that I will repeat:  the Unicode folks
> > made a bad engineering decision, based on the (Eurocentric) assumption that
> > 64K was a large enough space to meet their stated goals.  Don't know how
> > long it will take this half of the world to realize it, but UCS-4 is
> > inevitable.

> If we can put it off long enough until RAM and disk space have become
> twice as cheap, I'm happy.

I think 'speed' is more of an issue than 'price'. (price lowers much faster
than speed rises.) However, I have to admit I've been lagging behind on the
latest technologies, RAM-bus or SCRAM-jet or whatever they were called,
which is supposed to allow a 1Ghz or thereabouts bus-architecture. (Which
doesn't make RAM that speed, yet, but at least it evades the current bus
bottleneck ;)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>