[Python-Dev] PEP 203 Augmented Assignment

Greg Ewing greg@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 15:52:33 +1200 (NZST)

Ka-Ping Yee <ping@lfw.org>:

>    __get__(index, ...)              # I want an ITEM.
>    __getslice__(slice-object, ...)  # I want a SLICE.

I like this (although it would be safer if the new-style
__getslice__ had a new name as well).

> This would require detection of whether any of the components
> of a multidimensional (i.e. tuple) index were slices

Doesn't the parser know this already?

By the way, if you're going to make a clear separation between items
and slices, then either *none* or *all* of the members of a
multidimensional index should be slices, and mixing them should
be an error!