[Python-Dev] New winreg module really an improvement?

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@beopen.com
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 00:49:28 -0400 (EDT)

Mark Hammond writes:
 > It appears that the new winreg.py module is still in a state of flux, but
 > all work has ceased.  The test for this module has lots of placeholders
 > that are not filled in.  Worse, the test code was checked in an obviously
 > broken state (presumably "to be done", but guess who the bunny who had to
 > do it was :-(

  It was supposed to be Paul Prescod, since it was his module.

 > This is the first time I have had a serious look at the new winreg module,
 > and the first time I have had to use it.  I found it quite unintuitive, and
 > it took me quite some time to update the test suite for what should have
 > been a trivial case:

  Interesting; I'd understood from Paul that you'd given approval to
this module.

 > Has anyone else actually looked at or played with this, and still believe
 > it is an improvement over _winreg?  I personally find it unintuitive, and
 > will personally continue to use _winreg.  If we can't find anyone to
 > complete it, document it, and stand up and say they really like it, I
 > suggest we pull it.

  Paul, this is very much on your plate to make Mark happy with it, or
it goes!

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at beopen.com>