[Python-Dev] New winreg module really an improvement?

Guido van Rossum guido@beopen.com
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 07:06:05 -0500

I vaguely remember that I wasn't happy with the way this was handled
either, but was too busy at the time to look into it.  (I can't say
whether I'm happy with the module or not, since I've never tried to
use it.  But I do feel unhappy about the process.)

Note that Paul recently updated most of the docstrings, so he can't be
blamed alone, and I'm sure fixes to the docstrings are welcome.

Mark, could you spend some time explaining what you think should be
changed in the module?  I think it's not too late to change it --
after all there aren't any real users of the module out.  (I note that
Greg Ward chose the same route as you -- he uses _winreg, not winreg.)

I vaguely remember that Paul Prescod's main gripe with the _winreg API
was that it's not object-oriented enough -- but that seems his main
gripe about most code these days. :-)

Paul, how much experience with using the Windows registry did you have
when you designed the new API?

--Guido van Rossum (home page: http://www.pythonlabs.com/~guido/)