[Python-Dev] Developer activity (Was: New winreg module really an improvement?)

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 14:24:29 +0200

On Fri, Jul 28, 2000 at 07:53:54AM -0500, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> > Well, the same goes for Guido.

> Not sure what you mean.  I'm too busy to offer feedback on anything?
> Give me a break!  I probably spend 4 hours reading and responding to
> python-dev each day.

Unless I misinterpreted you, *you yourself* said this, Guido. (I can look
this up if you wish.) PEPs are there so you (and others, like me) don't
have to follow the details of each discussion. I didn't mean to imply you
(or anyone else) don't consider python-dev important enough to follow,
absolutely not. I just meant that we can't expect you (or anyone) to give
feedback on *everything*, given the pace of messages yesterday (or any of
the other bursts of activity.)

Reading all messages is something else than understanding the issues,
considering them and proposing new solutions or new ways of viewing them.

> > Much though I liked the discussion about slices (and about augmented
> > assignment) yesterday, it took me completely by suprise. And I'm not
> > sure what the end result is, either.

> I still think the proposed redesign is a good one (always use LOAD a, LOAD
> b, AUGASS, STORE b; or LOADSLICE, LOAD b, AUGASS, STORESLICE etc.)

So do I. I think thread-safety should be solved differently, even though I
think it should be solved, somehow. ThreadSafeDict, with explicit
grab/release lock ? :P

But that was the other sub-thread. In this particular case, I was referring
to the slicing thing, but I'm probably too impatient and urging on these
issues. (Actually, I know I am. I'm just a tad worried things like this will
go on and on and get lost and etc, etc, etc.)

I'll be implementing the seperate AUGMENTED_ADD/SUBTRACT/etc ops this
weekend, I think, and removing the 2-argument opcodes etc.

> > And if the TODO list needs a maintainer, someone that keeps track of all
> > 'issues' that need closer examination, I'd be happy to volunteer. My idea
> > would be to limit it to python-dev, unless someone forwards c.l.py traffic
> > or other traffic that points out TODO-listable issues.

> Actually, Jeremy is the officially appointed 2.0 release manager, and
> as far as I can tell he's doing a good job of keeping track of open
> issues.  He's also working on transferring the JitterBug database to
> the SF Bug Tracker, so we can shut off Jitterbug.

Ah, yes, hadn't considered the 2.0 release manager, probably because I
hadn't figured it as a job for him -- some of these issues go beyond 2.0.

Never-saw-a-release-manager-before-ly y'rs,
--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>