Ditching SET_LINENO (RE: [Python-Dev] Reordering opcodes (PEP 203

Vladimir Marangozov Vladimir.Marangozov@inrialpes.fr
Mon, 31 Jul 2000 04:42:10 +0200 (CEST)

Greg Ewing wrote:

> > the trick is arranging to pay something
> > at runtime for it only when you're actually using it.
>
> When tracing is in effect, switch to another copy of ceval2()
> which contains extra code to do whatever grubby things are
> needed to detect the start of a line using the line
> starts table. (Search it before executing each opcode,
> expand it into a parallel array of flags, or whatever.)
>
> The two versions of ceval2() could be generated from the same
> source file with some #defines.

Huh?

See my Addendum: to Mark's message that I just posted, which explains
the whole story in detail. I forgot to change the subject line which
still reads "Opcode reordering". Ah wait... from the archives:

http://www.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2000-July/014395.html

If you think your suggestion still holds, then could you elaborate
a bit more?

--
       Vladimir MARANGOZOV          | Vladimir.Marangozov@inrialpes.fr