[Python-Dev] Re: [Patches] Translating doc strings

Martin von Loewis loewis@informatik.hu-berlin.de
Fri, 2 Jun 2000 22:46:34 +0200 (MET DST)

> But presumably we want to get all the strings, don't we?

Certainly not. For example, in ftplib, the string "anonymous" should
not be translated - it would end up as "anonym" in German, and that
would not be accepted by FTP servers. In general, great care is needed
to select translatable strings.

For example, the GNU ls program was localized to print the month names
in German. Pretty safe, eh? Now, the emacs dired mode wouldn't
recognize any file names in the list output anymore, because it
had a regular expression to detect the various fields, which involved
an alternative list for all the month names...

Regards,
Martin