[Python-Dev] autoconf macros (was: RE: [Patches] Patch to Modules/pcre.h)

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Sat, 3 Jun 2000 13:34:26 -0700 (PDT)

[moving to python-dev]

On Sun, 4 Jun 2000, Mark Hammond wrote:
> > I don't even see where DONT_HAVE_SYS_TYPES_H is ever defined:
> > Is it defined in some Mac-specific project file?
>
> A few existed before, but I know I submitted a couple of the listed ones
> for Windows CE.  However, the CE config.h has never made it into the core,
> hence you can't find that particular definition...

Well, as I pointed out, the best way to do this is to add sys/types.h,
sys/stat.h, and stat.h to the AC_CHECK_HEADER() macro in configure.in. The
HAVE_SYS_TYPES_H macro and friends could then be checked.

PC/wince_config.h (or whatever it is called) would just #undef the
HAVE_* macros.

The underlying issue here, is that autoconf can take care of these things
for us quite easily -- that we don't need manual maintenance of the
macros. For the odd platform without sys/types.h, autoconf will handle it,
rather than Python needing to do a special-case declaration.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/