[Python-Dev] Revised 1.6 jobs list

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Sat, 3 Jun 2000 13:44:07 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 3 Jun 2000, Jeremy Hylton wrote:
> Sorry for the excuses.  I think better tools would help a lot, but
> we'll have to get more people checkin privileges regardless.

There are several issues with expanded checkin privs:

1) trust: will the person make sure it is Right And Proper to do the
   checkin? (have they reviewed the code? is a a Good Change? etc) The
   counter here is that we don't want people that will simply take stuff
   arriving at patches@ and checking them in.

2) more people reviewing changes on the -checkins mailing list. Assuming
   that you want more than one pair of eyeballs looking at patches/code,
   that more people with commit privs increases the rate of commits, then
   you need more reviewers to keep up (because the reviewers probably are
   not going to review ALL checkins)

3) increasing dependence on -checkins means that patches MUST be smaller
   chunks. they MUST be single-purpose patches. practically nobody will
   review a 200k patch, or patches that fix N different things at once. A
   small, focused patch is easily reviewed.

   For example: Trent has recently mailed a bunch of patches to the
   patches list. This is Goodness: each one is focused and can be
   individually reviewed. Since they are not a single, giant blob, it also
   keeps them short and reviewable... each can have a +1/-1 independent of
   the others.

Cheers,
-g

--