[Python-Dev] Suggestion: stopping to trust os mtimes

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Sat, 3 Jun 2000 14:14:49 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 3 Jun 2000, Moshe Zadka wrote:
> In any case, is there any objection to storing the size of the .py
> alongside it's mtime in the .pyc, and regenerating if either is changed?
> This is just as efficient, and much more reliable.

If we change the header size, then this would be fine. At the moment, I
don't think that anybody is suggesting a change to the .pyc header format
because of the number of tool breakages that would ensue.

People have seemed interested in my idea to update the marshal format to
record a version number -- it doesn't require a change to the .pyc header.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/