[Python-Dev] more on httplib

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Sat, 3 Jun 2000 16:13:55 -0700 (PDT)

I would like to propose a few changes to the (new) httplib:

*) drop HTTPS() -- this class isn't in 1.5.2, so there isn't a reason to
   provide backwards-compat for it

*) revamp the pipeline support:

   - record the "last response object" ... when a new getreply() is done,
     then we store the "last" into response.prior
   - reading of the "HTTP/1.1 <code> <msg>" line is deferred, and
     performed by the response object
   - the read of that line is lazy
   - if the response line is read *before* the "prior" response (if any)
     is "closed", then an exception is raised: ResponseNotReady

*) address some of Moshe's concerns:

   - use class-based exceptions
   - clarify that HTTPConnection is designed for *blocking* sockets
   - conn.close() followed by conn.send() will reopen the socket. This
     could lead to programming errors. I'll add a class-based default flag
     to disable this behavior.
   - in request(), we check for errno==32 ... what to do on Windows?

I will implement these changes in small chunks so that each can be
reviewed in my CVS repository. The history is available at:

    http://www.lyra.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/gjspy/httplib.py/

Cheers,
-g

--