[Python-Dev] Revised 1.6 jobs list

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw@python.org
Mon, 5 Jun 2000 09:32:54 -0400 (EDT)

    JH> Many of the people who ultimately have checkin privileges
    JH> should limit themselves to their particular domains.  There
    JH> are a bunch of modules that are owned by other people,
    JH> e.g. Eric's netrc module, your new httplib, MAL for Unicode,
    JH> etc.

Right.  I think GregS was the one advocating a more Apache-like model,
where people have the ability to check into the whole tree, but
generally don't or risk the derision of their peers.  Python's big
enough for people to assert their expertise over various corners.

    JH> Ultimately, I think I agree with Mark's suggestion that we be
    JH> a little more liberal with changes and risk backing out the
    JH> occasional changes.  (For some definition of "a little more"
    JH> :-).

It all depends on the scope of the changes.  If it's fairly localized
to a single library module, then we don't worry as much.  More
important there will be the API design.  If it's a more sweeping
change like GC or Unicode, or a change in the language definition,
then there /has/ to be broader support.

For Big Changes, I really like the RFC idea someone suggested.  Gets
everything documented for newbies and posterity.  Has a shelf life,
etc.

-Barry