[Python-Dev] ascii.py

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@beopen.com
Mon, 5 Jun 2000 21:23:40 -0400 (EDT)

Greg seems to understand this process better than the admins -- or at
least he can explain it quickly and clearly :-).  I apologize for the
rather confused state of affairs.  We'll clean up the process and
document it soon.

  GS> On Mon, 5 Jun 2000, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
  >> Latest version.  Adds isctrl() and ismeta() functions (because I
  >> use them...)
  >>
  >> Um.  What's the checkin procedure for library modules?

  GS> Guido has to give his blessing -- that he finds this useful and
  GS> appropriate for the Python library. He does that using his own
  GS> criteria and feedback from people here.

I think I can safely speak for the admins when I say that we're not
sure what the process is other than securing Guido's blessing.  We
need to work out a clearer policy, but that will have to wait until
Guido gets back from his honeymoon.  Any new checkins we are making
are limited for the most part to modules we've already gotten his
blessing for.

There won't be another alpha release until he returns, so it's not
like we have to worry about getting new code in before a code freeze.

  GS> For example, I'm "+0" on it. (meaning that it seems okay, but I
  GS> can also live without it)

I'm in the same boat.

  GS> There are ten people with checkin privs:
  GS> http://sourceforge.net/project/memberlist.php?group_id=5470

  GS> Five of them are admins (Barry, Fred, Guido, Jeremy, Tim). They
  GS> use <whatever> policy to determine whether a given person should
  GS> become a SF project member. That policy is probably just a gut
  GS> feeling rather than concrete rules, so I can't say "X, Y, and
  GS> Z." I also don't know what kinds of policies that they are
  GS> asserting on people with privs.

Another policy that needs to be defined.  "<whatever>" is surprisingly
close to what we actually have written down in our policies and
procedures manual.  I expect we will arrive at a policy where people
own pieces of the library and are free to maintain it.  Guido will
probably retain control over what modules come and go.

-- Jeremy Hylton <http://www.python.org/~jeremy/>