[Python-Dev] ANSI-fication (was: RE: [Patches] fix simple 64-bit warnings/errors in signalmodule.c and bufferobject.c)

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Tue, 6 Jun 2000 12:29:56 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 6 Jun 2000, Tim Peters wrote:
> [on K&R style declarations failing to act as prototypes]
> > Give the man a prize. That was it. We'll just forget that part of the
> > patch then and thank you Tim for changing all function declarations
> > from K&R to ANSI. :)
>
> Believe it or not, I do intend to do that, although I expect resistance from
> Guido <0.5 wink>.  Python's infrastructure is creaking from age, and an
> update to ANSI C is l-o-n-g overdue.  It appears to me that a very large
> part of your "Win64" efforts have amounted to fighting long-obsolete K&R C
> assumptions!

Euh... I thought Guido was entirely supportive of ANSI-fying the source.
Something like changing from K&R functions over to ANSI declarations is
"brain-dead" that should not introduce errors.

Going through and revamping the protoypes (e.g. PyString_FromStringAndSize
to now use size_t) is a bit different, though...

I shouldn't think Guido would be upset about prototypes.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/