[Python-Dev] RFC: Including PIL in 1.6

Eric S. Raymond esr@thyrsus.com
Fri, 9 Jun 2000 18:19:24 -0400

Jack Jansen <jack@oratrix.nl>:
> I include PIL in the standard MacPython and Mac users are apparently
> very happy with that [...]

I think it's time to consider including PIL in the core Python 1.6 release.
I've been following the work being done over there, and I believe the
code has reached a sufficient level of maturity to justify this.

The "Batteries are included" philosophy seems to me to imply that we
ought to be looking for application libraries to promote into the core
once we're satisfied that they meet core-Pythonic standards of good
API design, stability, general usefulness, and documentation quality.
PIL seems to me like a good candidate on all counts.

Guido has to make the final call, of course.  But let's have the discussion
now so we can develop a yea or nay consensus on ther list.
--

Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best
state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one;