[Python-Dev] Towards 1.6 Final

Christopher Petrilli petrilli@amber.org
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 11:02:01 -0400

Barry A. Warsaw [bwarsaw@python.org] wrote:

>     M> How about building two versions of the interpreter per default:
>     M> one with threads enabled and one without threads ?
>
> Python 1.6, current CVS snapshot on a Dell PIII 650, RH 6.1.
>
> with threads: 8547.01 pystones/second
> without threads: 9259.26 pystones/second
>
> So an 8% hit isn't negligible but I think it's acceptable for the
> benefit of being confidently able to distribute threaded apps.

Just as a data point, in the "Python problems" with Zope, this, along
with soe idiocy in packaging of RPMs in RedHat are the two biggest
problems we have a the Python level.  People not compiling with
threads turned on, and RedHat's decision to ship the header files
separate than the regular Python files. BLAH!

Chris