[Python-Dev] unicode character name patch status

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Wed, 14 Jun 2000 08:00:23 -0700

On Wed, Jun 14, 2000 at 12:45:01PM +0200, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> Bill Tutt wrote:
> > I was all set to integrate the \N{...} support into the Unicode-escape
> > encoding, and dynamically load the hash table data in on demand, but
> > dynload_aix only cares about module entry points and won't let you specify
> > an explicit function name.
> >
> > Ugh. So, its question and answer time folks:
> > 1)      If we can't dynamically load the hash table data, is it that big of
> > a deal?
> >                 Probably only for WinCE, palm pilot, etc, and they already
> > have patches against CVS.
> > 2)      Or, should I just have a separate encoding?
> >
> > I'd prefer to pick option #1 since Perl natively supports the syntax in
> > their strings. The data is all constant read/only data that will be mmapped
> > directly from the binary, so it only effects working set if the feature is
> > used.
>
> Why can't you use PyImport_Import() to do the dynamic loading and
> combine this with the standard unicode-escape codec ?
> If it fails (e.g. the user has disabled the module entry in
> Setup), then simply raise an exception.
>
> I wouldn't want the hash table around linked statically -- it's
> simply to big.

I'm with MAL. Use Python's import mechanism. That gets you the dynamic load
stuff no problem. It *also* handles the case where the module is statically
linked.

If you go play games with the dynload stuff, then it would be a bitch to
build a single, statically-linked executable.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/