[Python-Dev] test failures...

Fri, 23 Jun 2000 22:45:04 -0500 (CDT)

    >> test test_exceptions failed -- Writing: 'spam', expected: 'Attr'
    >> test test_types crashed -- exceptions.OverflowError : long int too long to convert
    >> test test_long failed -- int(long(-sys.maxint-1)) overflowed!

    Tim> First two don't ring a bell, last one has shown up several times &
    Tim> each time traced to an optimization bug, usually in a particular
    Tim> older version of gcc.  Recompile with optimization off and see
    Tim> whether that makes all of them go away.  If so, try using a recent
    Tim> gcc.

Turning off optimization got rid of the test_types and test_long failures.
The test_exceptins failure remains.  Here's a diff:

    diff test_exceptions.save test_exceptions
    2a3
    > spam
    3a5
    > spam
    4a7
    > spam
    5a9
    > spam
    6a11
    > spam
    7a13
    > spam
    8a15
    > spam
    10a18
    > spam
    12a21
    > spam
    13a23
    > spam
    14a25
    > spam
    16a28
    > spam
    17a30
    > spam
    19a33
    > spam
    20a35
    > spam
    21a37
    > spam
    22a39
    > spam
    23a41
    > spam

I'm not sure what that means, but it seems consistent. ;-)

As for the age of my gcc, I think I'm reasonably current (only a bit over a
year old):

    % gcc -v
    Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/pgcc-2.91.66/specs
    gcc version pgcc-2.91.66 19990314 (egcs-1.1.2 release)

I will try downloading a newer RPM.

Skip